Friday, May 1, 2009

Some thoughts on Asphalt Jungle

I must say, when Mr. Bennett mentioned film noir in class I thought, oh some weird indie stuff that I am not literate enough to understand. Here we go. MoMA worthy films.But I'm glad it turns out that the genre is actually something I've always admired from a distance. I mean that in the sense that I saw a few films (does On the Waterfront count?) and liked them, but just never got a chance to pursue it further.Anyway, here are my musings thus far. Firstly, to comment on some of Doc's lines. At one point, when he is planning the group he needs for the heist, he says "drug dealers are unfortunate but necessary." It's funny he says that because I recently read a speech delivered by Kurt Vonnegut in which he talks about Marx calling religion the opium of the masses. He (Vonnegut) says that contrary to what God fearing capitalists took that to mean, he actually meant it in the more innocent way - opium was practically the only painkiller at the time. So Doc's line resonates with that logic - that it is easier to numb oneself to the pain and who better to help us than drug dealers. Doc also says, "If you don't cause trouble [in prison] they make you the assistant librarian." On one level, yes, of course this is true (usually). The Shawshank Redemption is a perfect example of this. However the statement can be broadened to be analogous to the whole world and our lives in it - don't raise your head above the crowd or you'll get cabbages thrown at you. But enough about Doc.

There are some other great lines. Like when Bob Brannon says "You big boys. What do you have? Front? Nothing but front. And when that slips..."
It goes along with one of the themes of the movie quite nicely, that being we all disguise ourselves in one way or another. The alcoholic girl wears fake eyelashes (that come off in her hysteria, of course), Emmerich presents himself as a rich tough guy but is a broke wimp, and the Doc presents himself as an educated, above the foolishness kind of guy (for example, during the heist he simply stands there smoking his cigar like a noble in a gentleman's parlor) but is actually a base pervert. I think the only one who is true to himself, or thinks he is, is our man Dix. Is that why you love the line, "Would you quit crying and get me some bourbon" Mr. Bennett? Because that's what it all comes down to? I'll leave this piece of my discussion at that.
I was confused about one line Emmerich said: "Crime is only a left handed form in human endeavor." Does he mean it's just an uncomfortable thing some of us have to do (like it is uncomfortable for most of the population, which is right handed, to hold a spoon with the left hand) while some of us are ambidextrous and can just switch between morals like we can switch between hands? I don't know, that might be way off.

And two more things (sorry this is so long feel free, if you haven't already done so, to nod off). At one point Dix is on a stair case and in the background is a naked lightbulb. Now, last year we spent a great deal of time on the naked lightbulb in A Streetcar Named Desire in English class, so I won't repeat what all of you already know, but I must say it's an excellent choice of props by the director.

Finally, something occured to me yesterday while the camera zoomed in on Doc while he's watching the safe being rigged. His face is very animated - almost like in a silent film. I remember when we watched All Quiet on the Western Front last year in US History Mr. Bennett said that the faces were very animated (to a level of absurdity) b/c these actors came from the silent film era. I wonder if these actors kept hints of that in their craft as well.

So yep, now it's over. Thanks for tuning in.

2 comments:

  1. Nice post! I especially liked your analysis on there being "nothing but front" or how the characters in this film appear to be one thing or project a certain image of themselves so that you can't tell what is an illusion and what isn't. Where is the truth?? Also, for "Crime is only a left handed form in human endeavor," I took that to mean that people always seek to achieve some end, and an immoral method of attaining this end is as equally valid as a moral method - who is to say what is moral or not?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good, long, and analytical post. I am always impressed by your knowledge.

    ReplyDelete