Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Jons can see Death

I'm referring to the part at the very end when Jons goes to open the door and he comes back saying that "I saw no one" (or something to that effect). I think it's false to assume he couldn't actually see death, because when he sits down he passes a sly look at Block - and then Block knows the hour has come. The reason he didn't say it was death is because he believes in living life to the very last moment and knows that he has a strong enough character to do so even if he knows that death is a few minutes away. However, as I said in another post, he knows that the fools around him don't have that strength, and so to protect them (in line with his "protecting everyone" motif) he will spare them the agony until Death himself shows up in the passageway. So yet again, Jons saves the day.

3 comments:

  1. Ah, I thought I was the only one that thought this, so glad to see that someone agrees with me. Just our opinion I guess, since I think most people think that he didn't see him, but I've always interpreted his actions here the exact same way you did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is exactly what i thought too... i thought it was obvious the way he responds and i think it would make sense for his character to be able to see death too

    ReplyDelete
  3. He very well might have seen death but I thought that he did not because he was living life to the end and the idea of death never even crossed his mind. But you could be right but even if he saw death, I don't think he was protecting anybody but instead it left him completely unfazed.

    ReplyDelete