Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Dark City Volume 1

I suspect I'm gonna have a lot to say about this movie because it resonates much closer with the movies I've seen in the past (like for example, Imposter, the Matrix movies, and so on as opposed to avant garde or westerns) so I've named this Dark City volume 1.

I have to say, I didn't mind the fact that the Doc (I love it, they - the 'Docs' - are always German or Jewish...tell me, is that supposed to make then sound more sinister?) briefed us on what was going on at the beginning of the movie, because with a camera cutting that fast and that frequently, someone like myself, who can appreciate the deeper meaning but needs a lot of guidance getting to it, appreciates the heads up.

Now as for the memory discussion we were having in class today. I agree that part of who we are is made up of our memory, but I must argue that we also exist by virtue of other people's memories. That's why the movie had me puzzled a bit (puzzled not in the good way the director intends you to be) - when the Goodwills are changed from a Joe-Shmow into an aristocratic family we hear the difference in their conversation - before the husband was talking about Freidenshneider (or something to that effect) giving him (the husband) a few extra days off but after they are "'tuned" the husband is talking about how he had to let Freidenshneider go. Now, was Friedenshneider in on all of this change? No one else's memory is erased beyond those few people the aliens pick every night, so how can that work? We do exist because other people say we exist. Didn't Shakespeare write in his "shall I compare thee to a summer's day" sonnet that "So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see/ So long lives this, and this gives life to thee"?
And if Shakespeare said it, well come on, case closed.

And that poem "the Unknown Citizen" - it talks about how poeple become just numbers and statistics to a government gilding a life on paper - but nonetheless the end of the poem leaves us acknowledging that yes, a part of us is what we mean to others - no matter how small or how large.

Please let me know your insights, oh revered All-Star Team. :P

4 comments:

  1. I've never really thought about it before, but after some pondering since class ended I've come up with a conclusion that satisfies me.
    I believe that what we are is in fact a manifestation of our own memories and that other people's memories really wouldn't affect us. I can remember walking a little too far into the ocean when I was very young and getting a scare from the rip tide, so the person I am today is wary of wandering too far from where I know it is safe. However, as time goes on you may look back and remember me as a genuinely nice kid who never said anything mean and was devilishly charming. But although that is what you have seen from me, it does not mean that is who I am (although I am rather charming, wouldn't you say?). That's just my theory.

    Although, I may have interpreted what you were saying incorrectly. I just came back from seeing Wolverine and I am extremely pissed off so I kind of rushed through the post. I'll read it again when I calm down and post any new developments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well these are certainly interesting and complex thoughts that I will say that I am not qualified to answer exactly because as Mr. Bennett states something to the effect of "All 17 year old kids are ignorant."

    As per the memory discussion, I personally believe that in a way, all of us are manipulated by outside influences to believe certain things that may not be true. We just listen to the people who we trust and follow their word semi-verbatim. Much like in AP Poli Sci, the act of political socialization, except when referring to life and social issues, we just listen to people who we deem smart enough, also because they tell us there are.

    In short, life is full of manipulation of memory for someone else's benefit. Therefore, if you want to get ahead, make people listen to you and have them "Tune" in to your way of thinking.

    At this point I think I'm just rambling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll address your posts individually because each said some really interesting things:

    Nick: It's interesting you talk about how memories shape our behavior. We would all like to think we learn from our mistakes, like you did from the ocean-wandering episode, but I'm sure you remember the discussion we had in film class before watching Asphalt Jungle in which Mr. Bennett said, basically, no one ever changes in any profound way. Now, to bring in some of what Jimmy was saying, I'm not saying that we should “tune” into everything Mr. Bennett says and accept it as fact but this particular statement seemed to have merit. I mean, I repeatedly make the mistake of believing myself when I say that just an hour of tv won’t hurt, but every single time I end up wasting much more time than I planned. Or, on a more important level, it is often the case that people will not learn from even their most important trials and tribulations about how to better lead their lives (Waiting for Godot, anyone?). And as to not existing in the minds of others – I think you and I have very different definitions of the term identity. Correct me if I’m wrong, but you’re saying that identity stops at the individual person level. I’m saying that identity is the sum total of who you think you are and who others think you are. In that case, maybe my point about us existing in others’ memories makes a bit more sense.

    Jimmy: Wouldn’t Mr. Bennett go even further to say everyone is just an ignoramus so let’s pretend we know something and ignore the elephant in the room? Hehehe
    I’m in full agreement with you on your discussion of “tuning” in real life – I know I usually automatically assume someone with a British English accent is smarter and know I am more likely to believe anything they say. It’s silly, I know, but unless I catch myself in the act, I usually don’t even realize I’m doing it until I really think about what they said. I just put so much trust in the people that hail from a nation that has probably done more than any other power in the world to repeatedly screw over everyone living on this planet (oh, Africa).
    And it’s funny you say that “if you want to get ahead, make people listen to you and have them "Tune" in to your way of thinking.” I know that I have won many a debate and many best speaker awards at JSA by just getting up in the front of the room and completely bs-ing my way through an argument. Sprinkle a big word in here or there and I got myself a grade-a speech (and a room full of people awed at my intellect). Hahahaaha……it makes me worry about all the “smart” people I’ve ever trusted in my life: Bill Gates, Billy Joel, Mr. Bennett...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Personally I feel that what others think is not really that important. In Citizen Kane we learned that Charles Foster Kane was more than what any interviewer said he was. The no tresspassing signs in the opening scene showed us how futile our efforts are to get to know others. We can never really get to know another no matter what we might think about them. All of the interviewers gave us a crisp picture of his life story but no one had the foggiest idea of what Rosebud was. What Kane held dearest and most important was a secret to everyone. This shows that everyone is who they think they are and not what others think.
    All of us wear a mask to disguise ourselves. Some masks are more complete than others but all of us disguise ourselves. We bury our personality, our hopes, and our memories so nobody but us can know who we truly are.

    ReplyDelete